Thursday, May 25, 2006

High School Holiday

I went out today to celebrate Yom Yerushalayim the traditional way-dancing in the streets of Jerusalem to the Kotel and dancing more once I get there-but I felt out of place. I met a friend who was already there, and together we stood on the side and realized that everyone around us was either in high school or younger. This may by the first time I've ever felt old. My friend left after a bit and I looked towards the Old City debating if I wanted to go-and decided against. I no longer read the Mah Nishtana, no longer get candy at shul, and now I dont do the dance to the Kotel.
I went to a concert last night in honor of Yom Yerushalayim. Many of our top performers were there, including Sarit Haddad, Shlomi Shabbat, and Kochav Nolad (Israeli Idol) stars. At the end there was fireworks, and as Shan and I lay on the ground watching them right on top of us, I thought, what is Yom Yerushalyim. To me, it has always been Yom Ha'atzmauts more religious brother. Yom Haatzmaut we BBQ and party, Yom Yerushalayim we go to the Kotel and pray. The whole holiday (or so I think) is celebrating that "Har Habayit B'yadainu", the Temple Mount is in our hands. That is of purely religious significance. So why are we celebrating with a concert in the park? But I looked around and noticed the mixture of people that were there, a mixture of charaidi, dati leumi, and not religious people, all sitting together on the grass watching, and realized this may be what it's for. 39 years ago Jerusalem was united. But the people are still divided, each living in their own world or sect, with minimal if any connection to any other groups around. But here, there was unity. Everyone sitting together, and enjoying themselves. And the concert was great!
There is a lot of music coming right now from Mercaz HaRav next door. Maybe I can dance in the streets with people more in my age bracket :-)

3 Comments:

Blogger Menachem said...

don't forget to say hallel

10:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting site. Useful information. Bookmarked.
»

4:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This site is one of the best I have ever seen, wish I had one like this.
»

10:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home