Monday, January 29, 2007

Terror In Eilat

When I moved to Israel I became a news junkie. Every few hours I would check the news, always bracing myself for some form of an attack. Very often, there was. More recently I've been getting over this addiction, being as I am sick of reading every day about a new minister or government official indicted. Out of habit I click on the tabs and open the news homepages, but I rarely do more then scan the headline of the first article before switching to a different site. And then I see it, in big underlined letters. Suicide bomber kills three in Eilat bakery blast. I have that first frantic thought, I just spoke to a friend last night who was in Eilat! I already know he wasn't in the attack, since he wouldn't be in a bakery in the city in the morning, but the connection still has me shaken.
I have been doing some soul searching recently about my feelings towards settlements. I would like to see Israel in ontrol of all of Greater Israel, but the reality is that there are millions of Palestinians who either will need to be allowed to become part of our country or need a country of their own. This current situation can't continue to go on, where we own the land but don't treat the people as citizens. At some point we will have to pull in our people from the settlements (obviously not in the horrid way that was done to the people of Gush Katif). We will need to build cities beforehand for them to live in, immediately release the money they will be promised for relocating, and work out al the other problems that were faced by the people expelled from Gush Katif. We will also need to work with some form of Palestinian government to try and prevent the anarchy that is going on now in Gaza. Recently I have been leaning more and more towards this reality.
Then they send another suicide bomber, kill more of our innocent people, and all thoughts of wanting to make their lives better are erased.

2 Comments:

Blogger 2R said...

forgive me if i completely disagree. moving out of the settlements will not stop suicide bombings in eilat. it will not stop the rockets that can sent in from the other side of the border. it will not stop the hatred that has become so ingrained in their way of life.

12:49 AM  
Blogger Olah Chadasha said...

I agree with 2r and agree with you. Israel is in a catch 22 with the Palestinians. Israel can't annex the West Bank and make the Palestinians part of Israel, because the Palestinians combined with the Israeli Arabs would make an Arab majority, and that's the end of the Jewish State. Israel can't give the Palestinians state at this moment because of the situation there. However, I don't know if you read Caroline Glick's article about the fact that the Palestinians already do have a state that nobody wants to recognize: Gaza. It is their defacto state and look what they're doing to it. Actually, that's why I kind of want us to force them to declare themselves officially a state. They'll simply rip themselves to pieces and turn into a another warring third world African country. Not our problem then. If they try to attack us, we invade and destroy them. I think it's a win-win situation.
-OC

11:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home