Tuesday, May 17, 2005

If You're Arrested, Youve Won

Yesterday was "block the roads for gush katif" day. The official sign said, "Dear Driver, If they are going to block Gush Katif, then everything will be blocked." On my way home from school I saw about 200 Gush Katifies standing on the side of the road. Luckily, they hadnt blocked the road yet. We got to Jerusalem, and traffic came to a standstill. It took about 20 minutes for what usually takes less then 5. The blockers were in full force in Jerusalem. The first group i saw was by Angels Bakery. There were about 100 people standing in the sidewalk yelling, another 30 cops guarding them, and traffic was going slow since everyone driving by was stopping to see what was going on. Apperently they had blocked the road, but by the time I got there the cops had it under control. The main thing I noticed about this crowd was their average age was about 12. All these little kids holding signs bigger then themselves. A group of 6 cops were walking toward a corner where two kids were alone. The two kids started waving their sign, "Jews dont expel Jews", and yelling. The sign was upside down.
I walked to the city entrance to see the real excitement. There were a few hundred people there, at least a hundred cops, and 4 cops on horses. (horses on horses, as everyone around me was saying[think Alladin]) the traffic lights were all off, and there were cops directing traffic. Even when noone was in the road, traffic was going slow, due to the ineptitude of the cops. Every once in a while, a kid would run through the street and 3 cops would tear off after him. Theyd grab the kid and march him to the cop cars while everyone yelled at them. The crowd was half charaidi. i dont know if they were to support Gush Katif or just cuz they hate the cops. Honestly, I dont know which reason I was there for either. We davened mincha there, amidst all the noise. Theres no praying like protest praying. I was standing near a wall, a bit above the street, enjoying the view, when I see a cop marching a kid I know to the cop cars. I yelled his name to make sure it was him, and he looked up, smiled and shook his fist. He had an orange band tied to his head, like many of the kids there. As they walked him through the crowd everyone yelled for him. People were even cheering. Political feelings aside, I was proud to see one of my hometown boys getting arrested. He came there for a purpose, and he accomplished it. It takes a Detroit boy to show these guys how to do it. It almost made me want to run into the street. Then I remembered I have a wife and a job. Also, that I dont agree with the whole road blocking thing.
The Gush Katifers clearly accomplished their goal of the day, traffic was horrible all day, and everyone knew that it was because of Gush Katif they couldnt get home. How that is going to stop the disengagement is beyond me. But at least I had fun. Also, in the end, they didnt have room to take the kid to the station so they let him go.

10 Comments:

Blogger Olah Chadasha said...

It doesn't accomplish anything. It just makes people more angry. I don't know if you watched the news after-wards, but the people that were stuck in traffic got out of their cars and started pulling people away by themselves and screaming at the blockers. What has it accomplished? The police plan on going to the homes of those that are most involved in the planning and executing of the road blocks and blocking their homes, so they can't get out. Now, what will that accomplish? Not so sure either, but I know none of it will change a thing in the end. It'll happen or it won't. No amount of traffic blocking can stop it, but if it makes them feel better and makes them feel active, Kol HaKavode. I just hope I'm not in traffic that next time it happens.
Yeah, Detroiters really know how to party it up. Just out of curiousity, care to give a name? I'm sure I probably know him.

1:43 PM  
Blogger stillruleall said...

I cant name drop,especially after saying he was arrested. Hes probably less then 15 and made aliyah like 5 years ago with his family to Bet Shemesh.

9:07 AM  
Blogger Olah Chadasha said...

OK, Yingele, first of all, you don't know your history at all. Martin Luther King preached non-violence. He only had sit-ins, marches, and protests. You must be thinking of the Black Panthers or Malcolm X's methods. So, don't trampple on a peaceful yet truly effective man's grave with your ugly methods.
Second of all, if by big zoo, you mean, radical fanatics disrupting the engagement by trying to distract the police from their job by breaking the law, I hope you can live with the fact that you'll be endagering peoples' lives and violating the law of pikuach nefesh. But, if you're prepared to live with the consequences from the havoc you wreak, go ahead. But, I doubt G-d will help you break His laws. Since you don't know the future. At least, I assume you're not a Navi, so you can't halachically say it's ok to risk lives b/c you'll surely be saving lives by preventing the disengagement through any means necessary. That makes as much sense as blowing up a bus b/c it might get you an inch of land. Think about it, yingele. Btw, I don't know how much real yiddish you know, but yingele is also derisive term used to scold the immaturity and childeshness of a kid. I guess it would really apply to you.
-OC

3:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OC,

first you ask for loshon hara and then you try to talk about halacha, though you obviously have no clue.

4:17 PM  
Blogger stillruleall said...

Please, no personal attacks on people here! Feel free to express your views and opinions, but try not to make it personal!

8:54 PM  
Blogger Olah Chadasha said...

Anonymous, obviously if you have to remain anonymous, you have issues. Secondly, I was not asking stillrule to give me the name on here, so don't talk when you have no idea what you're saying.
Yingele, I am not going to rebuttle your personal attacks b/c they are petty and pointless. I am very well aware of what Dr King said, but he preached non-violence. Sit-ins were considered breaking the law, but they were non-violent methods, so he endorsed them. No-where did I say other-wise, but you claimed that he was pro-riots, and that's just not true, and your quote did not prove otherwise.
Secondly, even the former Head Rabbi of Israel agreed that the road blocking violated the law of Pikuach Nefesh b/c your irresponsibilities refused to allow fire trucks and ambulances through. That's endangering lives; not to mention your own b/c some angry motorist could very well have decided to run you over. Aside from that, if you take part in creating disruption during the disengagement itself, and you interceded in the police and Army doing its job of carrying it out and keeping the settlers safe from the terrorist violence that is almost guaranteed to inccur (So, they can say that Israelis left by force of fire), you certainly are violating the law of Pikuach Nefesh and may very cost many people their lives. But, I guess if it's in the name of your "cause", then it's OK and perfectly justifiable. Now, my slow mind would love to hear how you canNOT see how these acts endanger lives and how the zoo you wish to create during the disengagment won't endanger people or cost lives?
-OC

1:43 PM  
Blogger Olah Chadasha said...

Obviously, you don't know the definition of a debate. Nowhere in what I said was I making petty insults at you like you did to me. You pointed things out, and I rebuttled your comments. That's all. Obviously, you couldn't think of anything substantial to combat what I said, so you come up with a lame excuse to evade a simple question. Have fun in the zoo, and I hope no-one gets killed as a result of what you plan on doing. It is better to keep your mouth shut and have people think you a fool, then to open your mouth and remove all doubt. You really shouldn't speak when you have nothing intelligent and substantial to say.
-OC

3:31 PM  
Blogger Olah Chadasha said...

I see you don't really want to look for any answers and honest debate. You just want to insult people, which is, btw, also against halacha. But, don't trust my childish and slow mind. Go read a Chafetz Chaim. There's obviously no point in talking to you. I'd like to know what your definition of a mature argument would be, and how my response to your quote and question did not fit that definition? My slow and childish mind does not comprehend.
-OC

4:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jew does not expell Jew!!!

Contact the Gamla organisation for your orange wristband.

I wish I could be there with you fighting the liberal left thugs who deny Hashem and help the Moslems to complete Hitlers work.

How sad and how outrageous that a Jew would expel a Jew in the Land of Israel.

Shalom.

12:44 PM  
Blogger Olah Chadasha said...

Anonymous, if that is your real name, where are you? In America?

12:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home