Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Orange

I feel the need to write, but I cant think of what to write about it. Family life is amazing, today is our six month anniversary!!! I love you honey :-) School is depressing. I went all semester to classes, now that test time is coming, I have to actually learn all the material. Not fun to talk about. So instead I'll go back to a favorite topic-getting out of Gaza. Firstly, why orange?? For those who arent here, you cant walk down a street without seeing cars and backpacks all with an orange ribbon. Jerusalem is obviously colored orange, what with it being a strong right wing city, but I was in Tel Aviv yesterday (awesome day at the beach!!) and many of the cars there were oranged. Its gotten to the point where you see a construction worker in his orange vest and you think "another supporter of Gush Katif". Anways, yesterday I took the plunge. I went to a "students against disengagement" rally and bought a tshirt and 2 ribbons. I never liked the Tshirts everone wears that says "This is my house", as if they are all from Gaza. My house is in Jerusalem. But I am definitely a student against disengagement, and it was only 15 shekel (approx. $3.50). i dont know if Id wear the shirt, but atleast I own it. The rally itself was intersting. A bunch of students have gone on hunger strikes against disengagement. Its been going for 10 days. Every day more students join, they drink but do not eat. I dont get how thats going to help, but at least theyre doing something.
It took me a long time to decide my stance on disengagement. I still not too set. I'm not against the whole concept of giving away land, as long as theres a positive gain from it. But whats the positive gain here? On the other hand, Im also against forcing soldiers to protect an area with such a high risk. Theres got to be another alternative, but noone is offering it. I dont mean alternatives like expelling all Arabs which is racist and impractical. I mean some sort of solution that we keep our land that was rightly won in battle, they have some sort of economic solution that keeps them busy and happy, and everyone wins. Even if they have a state of their own, in the way Puerto Rico is independent yet owned by America. Its not as if in Biblical times only Jews lived here. There have always been other nations living with us, fighting against us. Til that solution is found, I'll be slightly against disengagement but not actively. At least not yet.

9 Comments:

Blogger Oleh Yahshan said...

well, I think anyone who read my blog knows how I feel about the disengagement. But I do think, unlike the road blocks that the Students that are on the Hunger Strike are Really Brave for doing it, I don't think that it matters if it will make a difference or not, I think that the Action they are taking is very important, and I think that the Media coverage about it has been only positive, and I think that it shows a lot more support for the cause than little brats blocking roads.

I hope that it all goes well in the end, and that we are heading in the correct direction.

2:27 PM  
Blogger Menachem said...

Orange comes from Georgia (the country, not the state with Coca-cola in it). They had elections a year ago, and it was basicly Dictator vs guy-who-was-not-a-dictator, and the dictator cheated with the ballots or something (sound familiar?), and the whole country protested. meanwhile, the guy-who-was-not-the-dictator hired an american consultant, who advised him to pick a color and always wear something with that color, so that he'd eventually be identified with it. so he picked orange, and every day wore an orange tie or an orange scarf or whatever. so everybody picked up on it, and orange quickly became the color that represented democracy and fair elections.

meanwhile, back in israel, gush katif people were going through their whole "democracy" obsession (remember? back when they pretended that they would actually leave peacefully, if only there would be a referendum? thjis is, i think, still their official position, though i doubt anyone really believes that they'd leave. anyways, that's why they chose orange. it was already a color that meant something internationally as having to do with free elections.

6:00 PM  
Blogger stillruleall said...

why do you know that?

6:29 PM  
Blogger Menachem said...

i read. next question

6:34 PM  
Blogger Menachem said...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orange_Revolution

6:39 PM  
Blogger Rolling hills of green said...

intresting to see your thought process evolving.

9:50 PM  
Blogger Veev said...

Dav, I didn't know you believed in stuff.

2:47 AM  
Blogger stillruleall said...

Veev, i try not to, but some things you cant avoid.

9:01 AM  
Blogger 2R said...

Veev I love how you phrased that!

10:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home