Monday, February 20, 2006

He Does It Again

It all started one day in Providence, in 2000. I was on vacation from yeshiva but I had to be there for college. I was bored and alone so I decided to go to a matinee to kill time (and cuz it's cheap). I didn't recognize any of the movies playing, and bought tickets for the movie "Dr. T and the Woman." Just to be on the safe side, I saw that another movie was starting 20 minutes later on the screen next to mine, so if mine was bad I could jump over. I didnt even make it 20 minutes. I dont think the movie made it past the credits and I had already left. I hopped over to the next screen, hoping I would have better luck. The movie was "Almost Famous." I sat there for the next 122 minutes completely spellbound. And from then, no movie has replaced Almost Famous as my favorite. I had at first attributed this greatness to the acting of Kate Hudson, Patrick Fugit, and the rest. I went on a Kate Hudson movie frenzy, watching everything she was in, but never feeling that magic again. One of the worst movies I ever saw, 200 Cigarettes, was during this Kate Hudson spiral. Alex and Emma I never even finished. And while "How to Lose a Guy in 10 days" wasn't a bad movie, it wasnt a top ten either. It took me a long time to realize that the magic was all Cameron Crowe. A flatmate of mine got me hooked on the movie Vanilla Sky, and there was the magic again. Not on the same level, but magic still. And now we've just watched Elizabethtown, yet another awesome movie from an amazing director. The brilliance of the road trip she plans (OK, its a new movie still so I wont spoil it) leaves you wondering who can think up things like that. Cameron Crowe. Cameron, I'm sorry that for so long I gave the actors of Almost Famous the credit for that captivating magic that kept me glued to me chair, and has kept me glued to my chair hundreds of times since then. While the acting is amazing, and one of my favorite movie scenes will forever be Penny Lane slowly running her hand through her hair in total pain after being sold out for $50 and a case of beer, then looking up at William and asking, "what kind of beer?" (Heineken), I now acknowledge that the magic comes from you Cameron. Thank you.

6 Comments:

Blogger Just Shu said...

Flatmate?> What the hell is that?
You don't live in London, you can call him a roomate

10:37 PM  
Blogger Just Shu said...

I never got why you hold "Almost Famous" in such high esteem. I thought it was OK, but not the most amazing movie ever.
Vanilla Sky was dumb and I have no interest in seeing Elizabethtown.

10:39 PM  
Blogger stillruleall said...

we didnt share a room and apartment-mate is too long of a word.
Vanilla sky I didnt appreciate until the fourth or fifth time. you may need to watch it with the directors commentary to truly appreciate it. and with subtitles. watch almost famous with subtitles too, it adds something.

10:48 PM  
Blogger Just Shu said...

once you have to watch movies with subtitles and directors, in my opinion, it isnt worth. Reminds me of a film class that I took at U of D

11:30 PM  
Blogger Menachem said...

I just saw another Cameron Crowe movie the other day: Say Anything. Pretty good. Also, you should see fast times at ridgemont high. he didn't direct it, but he wrote the book and the screenplay.

You liked elizabethtown? i was dissapointed. What was wrong with the sneakers?

12:41 AM  
Blogger stillruleall said...

I think I saw fast times, but I'm going ot have to watch it again to see how high it rates. I never heard of say anything. I didnt either get why they made such a big deal about the suit in e-town, but I liked the way she planned out the whole road trip, although it isnt actually possible to plan it out that perfect, and the whole way he dealt with failure and she dealt with him was great.

12:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home