Friday, August 05, 2005

If I were the Rule Maker-Part I

We're coming down to it. The worst time of the year. The nine days. Starting Sunday, no meat, no pleasure bathing, laundry, wine. Who came up with this list? (interestingly, if you type "nine days music" into google, you dont get anything jewish, but "three weeks music"the second thing is a halacha post) why would laundry be banned? Thats isnt a pleasure thing. And massages are allowed. I just dont get it. Then the whole thing gets scammed away. A Capella music isnt actually music. If you dont enjoy it, why would you listen to it? And if you do enjoy, how could it possibly be allowed?? Then theres the argument about live music. What ever happened to the core of the issue. The point is to decrease happiness. I was in New York (unfortunately) for the nine days one year. I went with my friend to get ice cream, and they had a big sign up. "Nine day ice cream sale! Buy one get one free!". I bet this is the best time of the year for the ice cream guy. and the pizza guy. The whole point is totally gone. I remember in high school, one of our Rabbis said there nothing more wrong about listening to non-Jewish music during the three weeks (or maybe sefira) then any other time, since its always assur. I dont know what crowd he thought he was preaching to, but being as everyone in that room listened to music, we all listened then also. Another thing is people who confuse no "pleasure bathing" with "no showering". OK, I dont actually know of anyone like that, but I'm sure theyre out there...
If I were the rule maker, I would announce everyone had to lower their happiness level due to Temple Destruction. Then I would put up a list of suggested ways to do this, with everyone having to pick at least two that directly affect them. (There would be some qualifications, such as, you cant pick not going to a concert if you wouldnt have gone anyway) A little booklet, that had to be read, would go out about how our lives are worse off now, calamities that have happened on this day, and a few tips on how to help make things better. The advantage and disadvantage of this system are the same. Some people wouldnt do it because there's no pressure, no one knows what they picked, but people wouldnt do it entirely because of pressure as they do now. Also, the focus would stay on "mourning Temple loss", and not "which music is allowed exactly", and "how do I get around the not-eating-meat thing? Oh, I'll make a siyum"
Shabbat Shalom to all

3 Comments:

Blogger Veev said...

"What if God was one of us...."

Oy Lanu, Dav.

7:39 PM  
Blogger 2R said...

Rule Maker, If I picked no music, and you picked no radio, could we eat together at your house while listening to my radio?

12:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sounds like lent.

7:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home