Saturday, March 04, 2006

Culture Shock

Having lived here for awhile, I've gotten used to most everything. One of the big differences between here and there is with language. Four letter words here, especially English ones, are used very regularly without any meaning attached to them. In fact, in the army, when you do something wrong, its called doing a fack (rhymes with truck, but with Israeli accent). If you've done many things wrong, you've done many fackim. I've also been shocked when seeing someone talking to their proffessor wearing a shirt that said "F!## you, you F@#$@#$ F@#$! But the other day I was especially surprised when a proffessor was discussing workers in the early 20th century, and said in English, "they were treated like sh@#." Didn't even say "pardon my French" or anything. The other time I was shocked last week was when Shany's friend was over, a charaidi girl who is married to a chassidish guy. He is American, learning here for now, but they plan on moving to America soon, and she is an Israeli who speaks English. She kept complaing about her f@#@# teacher giving too much f#@$#@ work and she doesnt understand sh@#, and I was thinking how over here she can say that without a problem, but it'll be really funny when she joins the Monsey or Boro Park crowd and talks like that.....

In other weird news, on our way to the Kotel Friday night a nun passed by and wished us a Shabbat Shalom....

3 Comments:

Blogger DonutsMom said...

Great post!

3:26 AM  
Blogger Rolling hills of green said...

thats funny

12:11 PM  
Blogger Olah Chadasha said...

The first time it happened with one of my professors, I looked around to see other people's reactions. I mean, he said the F word so nonchalantly, I was thinking that he couldn't really understand what he just said. Really weird.
-OC

7:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home