Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Chiloni Weddings

Here's the thing I dont like about Chilone weddings. the Chattan and Kalla are hanging out, then they say, see you in a second, and then they walk down the aisle and see each other. Not so exciting. Not like relig weddings, where the chatan and Kalla havent seen each other in a week, and when the kalla walks down the aisle it is truly exciting. What I do like is that you can dance with your wife. weddings celebrate the unity of man and woman. So why do we force men and women to be seperate? Another weird thing, which I've seen a few times, is when they break the glass. We break the glass in memory of Jerusalem of Old. Because no celebration is complete as long as Jerusalem is not rebuilt with the Temple. But in chiloni weddings they like to say that it's a shattered world out there, and the chattan and kalla stand on top of that world united, to make it a better place. Where does that come from??? Another thing I learned tonight is how good ice coffee and vodka go together. So if this isnt coherent there's yor reason why. Layla Tov to all.

2 Comments:

Blogger Imshin said...

it's a shattered world out there???!

I have been to many many Chiloni weddings over my nearly thirty two years in Israel, witnessing the marriages of people from all walks of life and from very diverse backgrounds.

That's the first time I've heard that explanation for the breaking of the glass. I haven't even heard it at any reform weddings, in which explanations are sometimes more new-agey.

5:26 AM  
Blogger Olah Chadasha said...

I've actually heard it from a non-denominational wedding. They don't like to stick with the "God" version, so they try to add something pluralistic so it connects to the "modern" world. It's cute, but I don't buy it.
-OC

1:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home