Tuesday, June 28, 2005

Which One?

I have always thought the idea of having a Dave Jr was very cool. Having it flow thru the generations, Dave IV and V and on. I have a friend, William Styx Schwab III (or is it IV?). For me that was always the ultimate. Not just the name Styx, but the whole Jr thing. But now, after calling hundreds of people a week, I realize the fallacy to such a plan. I also realize that after years abroad, I can still use the word fallacy. Very often, I call a house and ask for someone, lets say William Smith. One minute, they tell me, and go get him. He comes to the phone, and I give the usual speech, eye exam, etc. He says, in a surprised voice, who do you want to talk to? Again, I say, William Smith. Oh, you must mean William Smith Sr. Then they have to go find Grandpa. Why would someone bring such confusion on themselves? Ever time someone asks for William, they have to clarify which William. Incidentally, one house asked me if I wanted William Jr or Sr. I said the one born in 1920. They said, oh, you want Jr, and went and got him. How old is Sr?? Anyway, no more dreams of Jr me. At least theres Nephew Dave.

You know those old email forwards, Strange Facts, or something like that. this probably goes back to 9th grade or so, when I still read forwards. Two strange facts have never left my head. 1. A ducks quack doesnt echo, and no one knows why
2. The word facetious has AEIOU in order. And sometimes its facetiously, for the sometimes Y.

3 Comments:

Blogger Just Shu said...

i used to want to have twins, and give them the same name, just spell it differently, That would be funny, and confusing.

8:55 PM  
Blogger Rolling hills of green said...

That's in the same catagory as torturing our kids to make them cry!

10:27 PM  
Blogger Just Shu said...

I havent tortured your kids since at leats November can I get a litle credit

8:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home